Five nutritious snacks to support your brain health
1. HARD COOKED EGG + 6 WHOLE GRAIN CRACKERS
Your brain benefits because: In addition to being packed with protein, eggs are a source of choline, the raw material for a neurotransmitter involved in memory.
2. SMALL CARTON PLAIN FAT-FREE GREEK YOGURT AND ½ CUP FRESH OR FROZEN BLUEBERRIES
Your brain benefits because: Blueberries are brimming with water and are naturally low in sodium, a combination that helps your body to better maintain a healthy blood pressure to support brain health.
3. THREE CUPS LOW-FAT POPCORN TOSSED WITH 2 TABLESPOONS SLICED ALMONDS AND ¼ CUP RAISINS
Your brain benefits because: Popcorn is a whole grain with fiber that helps your brain receive a steady source of energy. Raisins are rich in potassium to help brain cells function at their best.
4. CHERRY VANILLA SIPPER (RECIPE)
- ¾ cup frozen sweet pitted cherries,
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt,
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds,
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- and 2 ice cubes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Pour into a tall glass and drink immediately.
Your brain benefits because: Cherries supply powerful plant compounds that help protect cells in the brain and the rest of the body. Chia seeds are a source of fiber and omega-3 fat, a type favored by brain cells.
5. EDAMAME IN THE POD
Your brain benefits because: Edamame packs protein, carbohydrate, and fiber in a single food. Edamame is also relatively rich in iron, a mineral the brain requires for normal functioning. Keep frozen edamame on hand and microwave one cup at a time for snacks.